Chiropractic Care can Solve the Root Cause of Your Headaches
If you suffer from headaches, you are far from alone. Did you know that headaches are among the most frequent nervous system problems? In fact, they affect 48.9% in the general population and over 15% of all adults in the United States suffer from severe headaches or migraines.
The pain from headaches usually results from muscle tension that constricts blood vessels or puts pressure on nerves. They last from minutes to days, although most are short-lived. However, if you start experiencing frequent headaches, you should seek chiropractic care to get relief.
Types of Headaches
There are many types of headaches, but the most common are:
- Migraines: These are characterized by a recurrent throbbing headache accompanied by other symptoms such as nausea and distorted vision. The exact cause is unknown, but migraines may result from temporary abnormal brain activity.
- Tension headaches: These are characterized by mild to intense pain behind the eyes, in the head, and around the neck. They are caused by muscle contractions in the head and neck region and usually occur one or two times per month on average.
- Cluster Headaches: These headaches are characterized by recurrent brief but intense pain concentrated in one eye and are accompanied by a runny nose and redness of the eye. The exact cause of this is unknown, but recent studies point to abnormalities in the brain's hypothalamus region.
- Medication-overuse headaches: These persistent headaches usually begin when you get up in the morning and result from the overuse of headache medications.
Causes of Headaches
Headaches can be caused by many triggers such as:
- Use of alcohol
- Changes in eating or sleeping patterns
- Emotional stress
- Excessive use of medication
Chiropractic Care for Headaches
While your first instinct to treat your headache may be to reach for over-the-counter medication, this approach addresses only your symptoms. Because this relief is temporary, most people complain of persistent headaches even after taking medication.
If you are looking for a more lasting solution, chiropractic manipulation has been shown to have higher success rates than usual pain-relieving medications when treating headaches. Chiropractic techniques like spinal manipulation have proven to be effective in relieving migraines, tension, and other types of headaches. One such treatment option is the Thayer chiropractic method, which focuses on balancing the body by aligning in the cervical spine.
I invite you to watch the following YouTube Playlist and see for yourself how your body can be changed forever using the Thayer Method.
Book An Appointment to Correct the Root Cause of Your Headaches
At So Cal Chiropractic in Costa Mesa, CA, Dr. Ace Thayer has over 26 years of experience treating various types of headaches and has helped many patients find relief. By correcting any issues in your back or neck, he can help you live comfortably and free of pain.
If you’re ready to find the root of your headache pain and get relief, call us at (949) 548-7767 or book an appointment online today.